I think it’s safe to say that I wouldn’t be alive without coffee. Coffee has this warming, awakening power that I just can’t live without. Normally I just drink BulletProof coffee, or add a little heavy cream and a pinch of sweetener to black coffee, but sometimes I need just a little bit more to keep me awake. I started playing around with the delicious sugary drinks I used to get at coffee shops and ended up with much healthier, fulfilling versions of my favorites.
Enter my all-time favorite coffee shop drink, the mocha. The creamy, chocolatey goodness that happens when coffee, chocolate and milk combine is heaven. Unfortunately, mochas are always loaded with sugar. After trial and error with adding cacao powder to my usual bulletproof coffee, I discovered that the secret was adding cacao butter to get that true authentic taste.
This mocha is what I call a breakfast coffee, much like BulletProof coffee, and it’s meant to replace breakfast entirely. I know most people think having only butter and coffee for a breakfast is crazy, but I promise that it keeps me fueled and full much longer than any of the sugar-laden meal replacement shakes that I used to drink.
With zero sugar and just 2 net carbs, this drink is:
- Just sweet enough
- A cup of coffee
- 1 Tablespoon cacao powder
- 10 g cacao butter
- 1 Tablespoon MCT oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter (grass fed is preferred, see notes)
- 2 packets of Truvia, or preferred sweetener
- About 5 drops vanilla extract
- Measure all the ingredients into a blender and pour the hot coffee on top.
- Blend for about 30 seconds, or until everything is incorporated and foamy.
- Sprinkle some extra cacao powder or cinnamon on top if you feel like being fancy.
*If you don’t have MCT oil, you could sub in virgin coconut oil.
*Grass fed butter is higher in healthy stuff like Omega 3’s, beta carotene, CLA, Vitamins A, K, D and E, and minerals lecithin, selenium, magnesium, zinc and copper.