Maybe it’s just because I’m a southern girl, but I think that a good batch of gravy is pretty much the best thing in the world. It’s so perfect and creamy and anything that you add it to instantly becomes “comfort food”. Biscuits and gravy, mashed potatoes and gravy, cornbread stuffing with gravy… It’s all warm, hearty and comforting and I love it. Even though I think sausage gravy is the best, I do love the texture and the earthy umami taste of mushrooms, and I think this meatless gravy holds its own.
The inspiration behind this gravy was a container of mushrooms that was about to expire, and my love of beef stroganoff. This gravy goes perfectly over a burger patty, some cauliflower mash, or low carb biscuits. Hell, I’ve dipped chicken strips in it, it’s good enough to go on everything.
This gravy isn’t as low carb as some of my other recipes, but since all the carbs are coming from veggies I still consider it good to go on a keto diet.
This recipe is:
- Super easy
- Full of veggies
- 1 tablespoon avocado or olive oil
- 190 g (about half) diced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup chicken or beef broth (or veggie broth for vegetarian)
- 1/3 cup sour cream (could sub heavy whipping cream in a pinch)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat up oil in a pan over medium heat, add onions, garlic and mushrooms, cook until everything is soft.
- Stir in broth and cook for a minute to deglaze the pan.
- Turn heat to low and stir in the sour cream. Let cook for another few minutes to reduce some more. (If using heavy cream, keep the gravy at a medium heat and let simmer for about five minutes, or until it thickens.)
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Nutrition is calculated using avocado oil, beef broth and sour cream.